Saturday, September 05, 2009

This is one reason why I love Etsy...

There are so many people I can connect with and learn from, who have the same kind of (sometimes wacky) interests as I do!  FINALLY, I've found my peeps!  Check out this video about Mimi Kirchner, she makes dolls.   I've always wanted to learn all the 'Little House on the Prairie' home crafts.  Sewing, embroidery, knitting, weaving, etc...   Last week, my mom and I spent a few days canning green & yellow beans and salsa.  I felt very satisfied after "putting up the harvest" in my pantry and looking at all the cans.  I loved learning the whole process with my Mom.
  Anyway, back to dolls and back to Etsy.  In the spirit of doll-sharings, I'd like to share my first doll project.  This is Dolly Madison.  I made her for my neice (her name is Madison -- ha, get it?) on the occasion of her first birthday.  The basic pattern is from one of my favorite Etsians, http://www.theblackapple.etsy.com/  Find the pattern here:  go to her blog http://www.theblackapple.typepad.com/
click on "Watch Emily & Martha Make Dolls" scroll down a bit its on the left.  Or just go to the Martha Stewart website and search for 'Black Apple Doll'.  I embellished the basic pattern with lots of tiny treasures from my stash (and som specially purchsed new items).  I used the lovely tan color leather (furniture swatches, originally meant to be thrown away but I rescued them), cut the edges with pinking shears, to make the scaloped collar on her dress.  I used some beautiful and soft espresso color sueded leather to make her hair.  I wanted her to look like baby Madison.  I made her little leather mary jane shoes out of more beautiful leather from my stash.  I used new materials for the body, the stuffing, the dress, the striped stockings and the glittery pink button.  This project was a such a hoot.  Dolly Madison just cracks me up!  After watching Mimi Kirchner's video, I'm feeling inspired to dig into the stash once more and see who emerges this time...

No comments: